Sapa 3-Night Trek & Homestay with Overnight Train20 Reviews
Trek through the Muong Hoa Valley in the Hoang Lien Son Mountains to the hill tribe villages of the Hmong, Zay, and Red Zao peoples. Experience traditional hospitality during a 1-night homestay in Ta Van village.
- Trek to the mountain villages in the Muong Hoa Valley
- Learn about Vietnam’s ethnic minority groups
- Visit a local handicraft center where women gather to exchange skills
- Spend 1 night at a homestay with the Zay Hill Tribe
DescriptionStart the tour with an 8 PM departure from your hotel lobby in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, or choose to meet at the local operator's office on Au Trieu Street. The tour guide/driver will drive you to Hanoi station where you board the overnight train from Hanoi to Lao Cai. The next morning at 6 AM, get picked up from Lao Cai station for a 1-hour drive in a shared minivan to Sapa. After freshening up and stopping for breakfast in a local restaurant, explore Sapa on foot. Stop to visit the local market and the old cathedral. Meet local communities such as Black H’mong and Red Zao. Browse fresh produce and handmade souvenirs. At 10:30 AM, return to the operator's Sapa Office and embark on your hike to the Muong Hoa Valley. Follow the main road heading south for about 1 hour before turning onto a footpath that leads downhill through the valley. Admire the spectacular scenery of the highest part of Hoang Lien Son Mountain Range. On a good day, you will be able to see Fansipan Peak in the distance. Cross the river by a suspension bridge and then take a challenging uphill hike to the Y Linh Ho Village. Visit H’mong families and see their daily work. After a picnic lunch, continue along the undulating trail for about 2 hours until you reach Lao Chai, a large village that is home to the H’mong. Then, follow the river bank to Ta Van village which is home to the Zay people. Take the opportunity to visit local homes and village schools. Settle down in Ta Van village for an overnight homestay. On the second day, say goodbye to your host family and depart Ta Van village after breakfast. Take the uphill trail, passing incredible terraced rice fields and some small hamlets belonging to the H'mong peoples. Hike through a beautiful bamboo forest then stop for a well-deserved break as to admire the magnificent scenery. Continue walking for half an hour to Giang Ta Chai village of the Red Zao peoples which sits on the top of a hill and looks down over the Muong Hoa River. Spend some time visiting the village, making friends with the locals, and experiencing their hospitality. Cross over the river by another suspension bridge and then continue uphill again to Hau Thao village. Here, spend some time visiting a local handicraft center where H’mong and Zao women gather to exchange experiences and skills. Stop for a late lunch nearby and chance to relax. Get acquaintance with local school boys, girls, and their teachers. At 5:30 PM the guide will transfer you back to Lao Cai station where you will board the overnight train to Hanoi. Arrive in Hanoi at 5 AM the following morning.
IncludesReturn overnight train based on 1st class 4 bed shared cabin with air-con 1 night's accommodation at homestay in Ta Van Village. All meals as mentioned in the itinerary Transfer from Lao Cai station to Sapa and back in shared minibus with air-con Sightseeing fee, tax, and services charge Local English-speaking tour guide Meals not indicated in the itinerary Drinks Personal expenses
- The 9-km trek is not recommended for older guests or children
- Homestay facilities are not the same as in hotels in Sapa - you will be accommodated in a large, shared room with a single bed for each person
- Bring warm clothes, including a scarf, hat or cap as the weather in Sapa is unpredictable; it is normally cold from September to March
- Due to the altitude of Sapa, it is sometimes foggy in December, January, February, and March
- Please bring trekking shoes, sunglasses, sun cream, and insect repellent
- Please bring cash in in Vietnam Dong as the banking system in Sapa sometimes doesn’t function well; US Dollars, Euros, and Australian Dollars are accepted in Sapa
- Please bring medicine with you in case of illness • If your hotel is not in the Old Quarter, please select the meeting point option.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now